The key aim of the Regional BioEnergy Business Development (RBBD) project is to support biomass business development in the South East Region, Ireland; South East Region, Sweden, Voru Region, Estonia and Trento, Italy through support and development of enterprises along the bioenergy supply chain.
Key Objectives of the project are:
• Enhance and develop the enterprises and businesses involved in the production of biomass fuels.
• Maximise the use of biomass heating systems (domestic and commercial scale) through capacity building between installers and end users of such systems.
• Support the development of biomass district heating systems in key strategic zones.
The RBBD project will look at particular aspects of the biomass heating supply chain. These issues have been highlighted due to their common regional occurrence and also relevance to Regional Action Plans (where they exist). The RBBD project will focus primarily on private forestry and large scale heating projects and the issues listed below link directly to these areas.
• Lack of cohesiveness of biomass producers (a single strong voice is required to represent and coordinate the growers to achieve scale and get market share).
• Lack of precise useful knowledge of the amount and level of biomass there is available in the regions.
• Commercial and domestic sectors lack confidence in the supply chain.
• Consumers do not feel that they could depend on their wood pellet/ chip provider as much as the oil providers.
• Perceived quality issues with boiler installations being fit for use.
• Perceived quality issues with fuel.
RBBD will produce a range of guidelines, feasibility studies and analysis tools which will address the above issues.